Firefighters Rescue Woman From Home Blaze
Accidental house fire traps resident on second floor.
Wentzville firefighters saved the life of a woman trapped inside burning home Saturday.
According to a Wentzville Fire Protection District release, firefighters responded to a house fire on the 200 block of Kerstyn Drive shortly after 5:30 p.m. on Saturday. Upon arrival, firefighters found the homeowner trapped by heavy smoke on the second floor.
The woman was identified as Taran Knight, a Wentzville resident in her fifties, according to KSDK.
Fire crews, the release said, made their way through the smoke to the second floor master bedroom, where Knight was trapped and brought her out to safety. The resident was checked out by emergency crews.
The cause of the fire, fire officials say, was determined to be the accidental discard of smoking material in a trash can on the first floor of the home, which is located roughly a mile away from the intersection of Highway Z and Perry Cate Boulevard.
Lake Saint Louis and New Melle firefighters assisted in the blaze.
An update on the condition of the residnet was not yet known.