A local church is in need of volunteers to donate furniture for tornado victims in Joplin, MO.
Morning Star Church has been involved with post-hurricane and tornado clean-up and rebuild for several years.
While much of the reconstruction is complete, the cause is important to church members, because many families still lack the finances to replace lost furniture.
"When a home is destroyed, they lose everything and are starting from scratch," Heather Kemper-Hussey, Morning Star director of communications, said.
Morning Star is a church located at 1600 Feise Rd. with a growing congregation of more than 4,000 people in attendance for Easter services this year.
The church offers a variety of opportunities to grow and give back. There are support groups, classes and several ministries for people of all ages to volunteer and help people in their own community and across the nation.
Morning Star's "Furnishing Hope Ministry" is hosting a community-wide collection day for area residents to donate used furniture that is still in good condition. The goal is to collect 150 pieces of furniture to provide to those who lost their homes and belongings to a tornado in May 2011 in Joplin.
The collection is scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 3 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Morning Star Church Furnishing Hope 53’ Trailer located on the corner of I-70 and Highway 79.
"We are looking for all types of furniture from bedroom sets, TV stands, living room furniture, etc.," Kemper-Hussey said.
If you would like to schedule a pick up before or on Nov. 3, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church office at 636-561-5680
If you are interested in helping Morning Star Church assist those in the Joplin, MO in other ways, check out the following opportunities:
- INSPECTION TEAM This team will determine if donations meet the requirements developed by the Christian Life Center. Inspectors make sure the itmes are clean, safe, and useful.
- 10 people are needed for this team. For details or sign up, contact Dan at email@example.com.
- PICK-UP TEAM: Once potential donations are inspected and approved, the pick-up team steps in. If you're comfortable driving a 26', non-CDL truck, contact Dave at 636-262-8687.
- WAREHOUSE/ FURNITURE STACKING: Approved donations are delivered (by the pick-up team) to the Morning Star warehouse. The warehouse team is responsible for organizing donations and helping to track inventory. To learn more, contact Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CLASS 8 TRACTOR DRIVERS: It takes large trucks, to deliver the furniture donations, so qualified drivers are needed. Contact Dave at 636-262-8687 for details.
You might also be interested in:
- Morning Star Church Expands to Make Room For Growing Congregation By Christmas
- Shop Pink to Benefit Breast Cancer Awareness
- Get Free Fright Fest Ticket by Donating Blood
- O'Fallon Firefighter Honored For Helping Man Shot During Road Rage Incident