(The following press release was issued by the Wentzville School District.)
Jennifer Gorton, a 4th grade teacher at Duello Elementary, has been selected as the Wentzville School District Teacher of the Year for 2013.
Candidates are judged on the respect and admiration of students, parents and colleagues. Selection is also based on their ability to inspire and educate students of all backgrounds and abilities.
“It’s a great honor, because we have so many wonderful teachers here in the District,” said Mrs. Gorton. “Teaching children has always been my passion. It affords me the privilege of touching lives and making a difference in the world in the way that I enjoy most.”
Mrs. Gorton started working in the District eight years ago as a Parents as Teachers (PAT) educator, and is currently finishing up her Master’s Degree at Missouri Baptist. She serves as the Duello grade level chair for the 4th grade team, and is a member of both the District Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and the Duello Positive Behavioral Support (PBS) committees. She has also received the Duello Community Builder Award for the past two years. Mrs. Gorton is an active volunteer who has helped with a variety of events including polling place volunteer, spelling bee, science fair judge, Veteran’s Day, MAP Assembly, volunteer appreciation, PTA, and Dr. Seuss Week.
“Jennifer is a pillar of our school community,” said Duello Principal Dr. Kathy Fisher. “She celebrates each child as an individual and works diligently to meet each student’s needs and makes them feel successful and proud. Whenever an opportunity to help children arises, she is there!”
As the winner of the District Teacher of the Year, Mrs. Gorton is now eligible to compete in the Missouri Teacher of the Year program, which is conducted annually by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in conjunction with the National Teacher of the Year program.
During the District Teacher of the Year process, each school in the District also selected their Teacher of the Year:
- Holt High School - Patty Schroer
- Timberland High School - Denys Jolliff
- Frontier Middle School - Tracey Webb
- South Middle School - Carol Hinkebein
- Wentzville Middle School - Jerry Cannon
- Boone Trail Elementary - Adrienne Pivac
- Crossroads Elementary - Jennifer Reed
- Discovery Ridge Elementary - Sarah Bayless
- Duello Elementary - Jennifer Gorton
- Green Tree Elementary - Shelley Snow
- Heritage Primary - Chelsea Kuhn
- Heritage Intermediate - Kristina Johannes
- Lakeview Elementary - Carla Kunstel
- Peine Ridge Elementary - Sarah Moore
- Prairie View Elementary - Catherine (Kay) Strobbe
Quail Ridge Early Childhood - Robin Cooper