Monday, January 14, 2013
John Zepaltas had previously filed for candidacy for Ward 3.
After Wednesday night's regular meeting, a candidate for Ward 3 Alderman was recorded on city video making comments to staff members that may have resulted in his withdrawing his candidacy. John Zepaltas, who had filed for candidacy last month, approached city staff after the regular meeting was over and the aldermen and mayor had left the board room. Zepaltis was upset about the cost overruns for the Splash Station project. He asked how the project got past planners. The city's video camera was still running, and although he was off-camera, Zepaltas can be heard to say, "Mr. Kolb disappointed the hell out of me." He said that if that was the way that projects are administered, the procedures needed to be changed. "I am just pissed," …
Friday, May 11, 2012
The District and Wentzville Police are taking extra precautions to keep kids safe today.
The Wentzville School District has issued the following press release: Earlier this week, graffiti on a bathroom wall at Timberland High School implied a bomb threat for May 11. The Wentzville School District and law enforcement officials take these types of threats very seriously, and school administrators and police quickly proceeded to take appropriate action to insure the safety of students and staff. The THS School Resource Officer and the Wentzville Police Department have conducted a thorough investigation. Police officials collaborated with school administrators and have concluded it is not a legitimate threat. No evidence of any explosive devices has been found, and the police and district administrators have determined that the …
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
St. Charles authorities and school officials must balance learning with the student use of cell phones, particularly in emergency situations.
Jennifer Henry recently experienced a textbook example of the debate over whether students should be using cell phones at school. Henry, a communications specialist for the Francis Howell School District, said it happened on Oct. 21 when Hollenbeck Middle School had to be evacuated due to a bomb threat. It turned out to be a false alarm, but students were evacuated while authorities searched the school building. Students went to Central Elementary School and Francis Howell Central High School. A 14-year-old was later turned over to juvenile authorities. Another threat occurred at the school on Oct. 23. When they get worried, parents and students text, Tweet and call each other – with unintended consequences. “The kids get (information…
Sunday, February 13, 2011
A roundup of the region's major developments for Tuesday.
Here are the top stories from Patch sites in your area: